I’ve been home from college for about a month now (how does the time fly so fast?!) and I’ve been on a hunt to join a gym for the summer months, to keep my bikini body in shape! But finding a gym is a lot more difficult than I thought it was going to be… Every gym I go to tells me that I need to sign up for at minimum one year. But that makes no sense for me! I’ll only be home for four months, and then I will be three hours away for the remaining eight months of the year. Why should I spend money on a year’s contract when I’m only going to use one fourth of it? So I decided to get creative with my physical activity, most of them at little to no cost! Here are some of my ideas:
1. Don’t rely on your car! Ever hear yourself saying “I need to go run a few errands.” Well, why not do exactly that! Yesterday I needed to pick up a few items at CVS, which is a little over a mile away from my house. It was absolutely gorgeous out, so instead of taking the car I decided to jog there! It’s combining your errands with your physical activity; killing two birds with one stone. I even decided to treat myself to a Dunkin Donuts unsweetened ice tea. It kept me walking longer, and it was a delicious treat!
2. Recruit your friends! Ever find yourself sitting in Starbucks with your friends, catching up and chatting about the latest gossip? Well, why not do the same thing, except replace Starbucks for a nice walk around the neighborhood? Especially if you find you have a hard time motivating yourself, making a commitment to a friend is even more motivation. Plus, the two of you will be so busy talking, the time will just fly by!
3. Take your puppy with you! Obviously this idea will only work if you have an adorable four-legged friend, but if you do (or your friend does), he or she will be more than excited than to accompany you on a nice walk outdoors!
All these activities are outdoor, so please, please, please (I cannot stress this enough), stay hydrated and protect your skin! Always carry a bottle of water around with you when you exercise, and make sure you’re wearing sunscreen if you plan on exercising outdoors! You may not feel your skin burning up, but you’ll definitely feel it when it’s too late!
Now all these ideas are great for perfectly sunny days, but what is there to do when it rains?
4. Look up YouTube videos! There are plenty of workout routines that you can do in the comfort of your own home thanks to YouTube! It’s almost like taking a class at the gym, except it’s completely free! Also, I bought great Zumba and Yoga DVDs at BestBuy in their clearance section that I love to do in my living room.
5. Window shop! This one may sound a little strange to you at first, but trust me, it’s such an easy way to get your body moving! The reason why I say to window shop (and to not actually shop) is that you keep moving if you’re just browsing. Shopping requires you to stop, search for your size, try on clothes, etc., so your body isn’t moving as much. Both can be a great way to get in your hour’s worth of physical activity, but just make sure you’re moving for an entire hour.
What creative ways have you come up with to keep your body moving? Comment and let me know!